Search This Blog

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Romanticism

I am feeling satisfied with the semester as it is right now. Sure, I have some late articles for the Raven Review to write, an
annotated bibliography, and a collection of term papers for History and Culture of Native America. Yeah. So?
Are you trying to tell me that I should be working?

Every once in a while, I have one of those beautiful days that distracts me so much, it (hopefully) invigorates my work.And then...Oh God! Poison! That bad song comes up on my ipod.

Thank God I Have A Skip Button.

When I Was Little: I wanted to be an archaeologist or a detective. I was fascinated by possessions, the idea of possessions. What
belongs to a person and what that says about who they are. Especially purses. What's in your purse? What's in your
glovebox? I love those prints of different types of one category of foods. Like breads, or pastas. It's a whole genre of art. (this particular one is by Mike Ward)






I was also fascinated by the apocalypse (the coming one). What, I imagined, would archaeologists of the future think about me
knowing only what I was carrying in my backpack? What if my backpack was the only backpack?








Much Later, I kept thinking about it. Possessions are the building blocks of capitalism. Possessions as identity is the meme that
anyone selling anyone is successfully using. I don't just carry lip balm, I carry lip balm in a tiny wooden sphere with flowers on
it, because I like that it's not a cylinder. I carry a tape recorder, not just because I use it, but because I am *being* a *reporter*.
My planner is a Slingshot. I've got my hipster ID Card, right there. My professional ID. My vain ID (hairbrush).

What I carry in my purse might also be influenced by how I'm feeling. There might be tissues in there, or painkillers, etc.

You can imagine, from my purse, what you think I do, how I'm feeling, what I like, and who I think I am.
Ipods are a whole new level of carrying ID. They're not just about identity politics, they're also an emotional readout device.
Especially the little 4 GB nanos. *Nothing* fits on there, so the songs that end up uploaded are premeditated.

I won't get into the psychology of reading different playlists. But I have thought about it.
I'll let you figure that out. Instead, I'll just show you some stuff.
This is for context:

Top 25 Most played:
In Dreams - Roy Orbison
Crying - Roy Orbison
Elephant Pao Pao - Shonen Knife
It Comes Right Down To You - It's A Beautiful Day
Animal Song - Shonen KnifeCecilia - Simon & Garfunkel
Paralel Woman - Shonen Knife
Girls - Eleni Mandel
4th Time Around - Bob Dylan
Moonglow, Lamp Low - Eleni Mandell
Salt Truck - Eleni MandellTu Solo Tu - Selena
New Feeling - Talking Heads
Wings In His Eyes - Eleni Mandell
I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel To Be Free) - Nina Simone
Make-Out King - Eleni Mandell
Bang On - The Breeders
The Weight - The Band
Quinn the Eskimo - Bob Dylan
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere - Bob Dylan
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right - Bob DylanMy Time Ain't Long - Canned Heat
My Twin - Eleni Mandell
Miss Me - Eleni Mandell
Mujeres Divinas - Vincente Fernandez

I am a little embarrassed, yes. I'm kinda girly.

OK, But Listen: I just added these. This is the difference, now. I got rid of Radiohead, The Castanets, all of my Chavela Vargas,
and Gogol Bordello. Instead, I put on stuff by:
The Incredible String Band
The Pentangle,Creedence Clearwater Revival,
Islands,
John Lennon,
Mimi and Richard Farina,
The Be Good Tanyas,
The Beatles,
& The Velvet Underground.

And this is the list of songs I haven't skipped and listen to:Across The Universe - The Beatles
Well Well Well - John Lennon
Remember - John Lennon
Out of Jail - Algia Mae Hinton
One More Fact - Holly Golightly
Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Who'll Stop The Rain - CCR
Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd (Really? Really.)
Dig A Pony - The Beatles
Octopus's Garden - The BeatlesLodi - CCR
Wrote A Song For Everyone - CCR
Green River - CCR
Dream On - Aerosmith
Knocked Up - Kings of Leon
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Don't Call Me Whitney, Bobby - IslandsMiserlou - Dick Dale
One Kiss - Holly Golightly
Painted On - Holly Golightly
An Eye For An Empty Heart - Holly Golightly
I Hear You - Holly Golightly
The Sign - Holly Golightly
Nzage - Smokey & Miho

My interpretation: Cheesey. But I like it. Obviously.



No comments: