Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"What Are You Doing After College?"

Over the last month or so, many people (mostly family and friends) have been asking me "What are you going to do after you graduate?" Many of them are hopping I'll move back to Sunny San Diego. Some are hoping that I have extravagant plans for the future. And a few are asking just to see if I have an answer.

The truth is, I don't know...yet. I have ideas and hopes, but I'll have to see what exactly will be available to me when I graduate.

However, I know with absolute certainty that I will leave Arizona as soon as possible. I am giving myself a year to two years (max) to finish up my lease and job here, and to allow myself some time to rest before I have to become a career-driven adult. Also, my boyfriend's daughter deserves her time to complete another year or two of schooling here. Aside from an almost non-existent job market in Prescott, I also find myself not wanting to live in a "Red" state that continuously passes or is trying to pass ignorant and biased laws, and cares nothing for it's education system or students (whew!!). Oregon, and Montana are contenders for relocation.

Honestly, I know that pursuing a degree in the Education field would leave me without much of a jumping off point. To add to that, my degree is in Social Justice Education...a rarer field! I purposely didn't got the Teacher Certification route because: 1) I don't care enough about Arizona to become a teacher here and 2) I have too many issues with public schools and their lack of commitment to students (not that all are...just most). Currently, I am looking at job listings around the country (and some around the world) for independent (private) schools looking for teachers and staff. I have found a surprising number of which I meet the criteria for but will apply to after graduation (wish me luck!).

As an adult getting ready for a career, I also have to keep in mind family. I'm getting to that point in my life where marriage and children are more of a reality, so I'm recognizing that I have to plan for that. I don't want a job in some obscure place with little to offer. Aside from looking at relocation areas and jobs in those areas, I'm looking into schools (for my boyfriend's daughter and any future children I may have), resources (health food stores, proximity to the outdoors, libraries, etc.),  average age, average housing costs, diversity of population, eateries, etc. I'm also making sure that the jobs I will be applying for have a nice benefits package (medical and dental are my biggest concerns, especially if a family of my own is in the future). A place that is dog friendly is also a must!!

Really, I wish I had a better idea of what I was going to do after college. However, going with the flow of life and follow my heart has never misled me (it's how I was brought to Prescott College). I know something great will turn up that meets and exceeds my expectations...so until then I'll wait for the Universe to assemble to signs I need to follow.

Angelica R. Brady 3.26.2013

No comments: