Search This Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Education is a Journey

“Education is a journey, not a destination” is what Prescott College instills in its students. For me, this journey has been rewarding, frustrating, enlightening, and, above all, transforming.


A little over a year ago, I moved to Prescott fresh from the city of San Diego, CA. I was excited to begin this leg of my academic odyssey, but also anxious to be in a new place with new people.

As the days of my Wilderness Orientation flew by and my first official semester began, I knew I had made the best decision of my life. I could and would thrive here. After all, I did survive Wilderness Orientation.

My first semester at Prescott College was one of mixed feelings, great intrigue and unlimited potential. I was on the threshold of unlimited opportunities and academic pursuit. Those classes were my “tester” courses, ones where I began to form the tendrils that shaped themselves into passion-driven competence and breadth areas. Finally, I was able to put down in a Degree Plan a concrete plan of action; I wanted to teach.

That Fall 2011 semester was a fun and enriching way to be introduced into a new and unique college experiences. Potlucks and small parties kept me social, class discussions and readings kept me involved and analytical, and being a part of a community of learners who want to serve and change the world kept me determined.

Don’t get me wrong, I missed my family dearly, I missed the variety and late-nights the city offered, and I missed familiarity. But, Prescott and Prescott College proved to be extremely beneficial and provided many blessings.

In my time in Prescott I have:

- Become involved with great and motivated people.

- Met and live with an amazing man.

- Learned that Yoga is a way to center and calm myself.

- Pursued rock climbing to a degree I wouldn’t have imagined.

- Become more connected with my food and food sources, and have mastered delicious vegetarian meals!

- Found a new family.

- Observed community strengths and weaknesses, and formulated possible (and realistic) solutions.

- Been able to clearly define who I am, what I stand for, and what I believe in, and with little to no regard for external pressure to conform.

- Experienced SEASONS!

And those are only the tip of the iceberg! Thus far, this journey has been incredible!!

Now, I’m in my senior and final year at Prescott College…and it is thrilling, sad, and uplifting. I have a year of hard-work and real-life application to complete before I can stand on a stage and look into the glowing and proud faces of my family and friends. But, it is what motivates me. Being a student (and soon to be graduate!) of Prescott College has allowed me to follow my passion and mold it to be a vehicle for educational change and reform. At Prescott College, I have learned that the student DOES matter and has exceptional power; here, your education is truly your own.

My journey is not done, and it will never be.

Angelica R. Brady

No comments: