Search This Blog

Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Wonders of Prescott College...

            I remember my senior year of high school. I fully enjoyed it, however, I was more than ready to get out of there. So many questions circulated though my head: should I… Work? Travel? School? I wrote a blog about that last year, so that is not exactly what I want to focus on. The point I was trying to bring up was doing my own college research and looking at “student blogs”. I can’t remember what school this was for, but one of the posts surrounded the prompt, “If you could go on a road trip with one of your professors, who would it be and why?”

            I love road trips – the passing scenery, the conversation, the music, and the adventure soon to come… so I thought it was a brilliant post. However, when I came across Prescott College, I discovered – this prompt was not “hypothetical”. Ask any student, who has been your favorite professor to road trip with (you would probably ask about the field course, in all reality – because van rides and the “road trip” part of the course is usually not the “highlight”).

            It would be hard for me to pick a favorite – another reason why I love Prescott. The range of experiences are so broad, I don’t think I would know how to compare a trip studying social theory and current events along the U.S.-Mexico Border with a month ski touring though the back country in Idaho, or a Prison Studies course in San Francisco, with a Women’s Topics in Wilderness Leadership weekend trip to Joshua Tree.

            Rather than pick a favorite, I think I will focus in on one highlight at a time. For the next few weeks, check back and get a “preview” into the wonderful world of Prescott College. I am currently in my third year here, and unlike my junior year of high school, I can’t imagine leaving. This has become the place that I call home, the place where all my adventures take me back to, the place where I reflect, synthesize, let down, and ramp up for another exciting educational journey (literally and metaphorically). My stories come from the Adventure Education department, the Cultural and Regional Studies department, the Education department, the Human Development department. That is the beautiful thing about a Prescott College liberal arts degree – you can (and will) have experiences that span across program areas – the interdisciplinary degree you design and the interdisciplinary nature of the courses help create one of the coolest, well rounded experiences of your life.

            Let your imagination run wild!
 
Hannah Marshall
11/07/2012

No comments: