Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Gravity of Reality

“To serve is beautiful, but only if it is done with joy and a whole heart and a free mind.”-Pearl Buck

 
I often think about this quote as I sit down every few weeks and plan my life out... which I have never done before. Alongside being a student at Prescott College as well as an student counselor for work study, I am also a full-time AmeriCorps member at Yavapai Big Brothers Big Sisters. When fellow AC members ask me how I manage fitting all of that into days that seem to get shorter as the sun stays out longer, I tend to stumble during my response. 

There are so many days that being a student worker is the biggest struggle, and I often find myself overwhelmed with menial tasks that if ignored, could present an accumulated catastrophic result of failed email follow ups, class readings left untouched, and bills still needing to be paid. There are many days where I find myself thinking about the completion of my year long AmeriCorps term, the quintessential light at the end of the tunnel, and how my time will be freed up to do the things I miss like rock climbing and photography. 

Then, after the coffee has kicked in and I can see the benefit of my work through my AC volunteer position, I know that I've made the right choice. When the description of my job transcends into a live being rather than an elevator pitch, I know that I am serving others in a way that I didn't realize was so important. I didn't know that even though this isn't my first pick of job descriptions, it has challenged me in ways that I know will only make me a better person, volunteer, employee, and leader. 

I realized that while I'm writing this, I only have 5 months left in my term of service, which makes me realize that there is no time to waste. 

AA

No comments: